The Reuben sandwich is an American hot sandwich composed of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing, grilled between slices of rye bread. There are various rumors regarding who exactly invented the Reuben from Arnold Reuben (1883-1970) of NY to Reuben Kulakoesky (1875-1960) of Omaha, Nebraska. Who has your vote?
- 4 slices bread Rye Bread or Swirl Pumpernickel Rye
- 2 Tbsp. Thousand Island Dressing
- 6 slices corn beef
- 1/2 cup Sauerkraut drained
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Heat pan to 325 degrees F. ( about medium)
- Butter one side of each bread slice.
- Place butter side down onto pan and place 1 slices Swiss cheese on each bread slices on the griddle.
- Top with 3 slices of corn beef and ¼ cup sauerkraut, 1 Tbsp. dressing and cover with other buttered bread slices on each sandwich stack.
- Grill on each side until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and serve!