Mediterranean meals have been a part healthy diet for centuries. Tomatoes and Cannellini beans will tango on your tongue. Parmigiano or Romano Cheese add the finishing sparkle to this fast healthy meal.
Pasta e Fagioli with Fresh Pesto
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 chopped tomatoes or pureed tomatoes 14 oz. can
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cans Cannellini Beans
- 1 1/2 cups small pasta uncooked Ditalini or elbow pasta
- A couple of good handfuls of flat leaf parsley chopped
- salt & pepper
- Freshly Grated Parmigiano or Romano Cheese optional
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Combine the stock, 1 can of beans (adding the liquid from the beans will add extra thickness to the soup) and chopped tomatoes, and bring to a boil.
- Puree or mash the 2nd can of beans with a little of the liquid from the can and then add it to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then cover and lower the heat to the lowest setting. Let simmer for 1- 2 hours (stirring occasionally).
- Add the pasta, chopped parsley, and seasonings.
- Cook until the pasta is cooked al dente (adding water if the soup becomes too thick).
- Serve in bowls topped grated Italian cheese and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.