The wonderful dill herb is not just for pickles anymore. This subtle aromatic herb will bring a plain recipe up to five-star chef status!
Dilled Pot Roast with Mushroom Sauce
- 2.5- 3 pounds beef roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped (or 2 tsp dried dill)
- 1 onion cut into 4 thick slices
- 4 ribs celery cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup red wine divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup light sour cream
- Mix together salt, pepper, and dill.
- Pat the roast dry, then rub the seasoning all over.
- Place onion slices and celery in the bottom of the slow cooker/crockpot.
- Pour water and 1/4 cup red wine over the vegetables.
- Place the roast on top of the vegetables.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- When roast is almost done, saute the mushrooms in an oiled pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are tender.
- Turn the heat on low and stir in the sour cream and remaining 1/4 cup red wine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the roast and vegetables from the SLOW cooker onto a serving plate.
- Stir in any drippings left in the slow cooker with the mushroom sauce.
- Pour mushroom sauce on top of the roast and serve.