Longing for satisfying comfort food you can make ahead of time? The humble cabbage brings big flavor on a budget to your meal plan! Slow cooker/Crockpot friendly!
- 1 pound ground beef meat of your choice
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 cup cooked white rice cook in beef broth for added flavor
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 can 14 oz diced or crushed tomatoes with liquid
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- In a separate bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- First, steam the entire head of cabbage in a pot of boiling water, making sure to cut off the core first. Let the cabbage head boil for about 6-8 minutes -- if you notice leaves separating from the head, you can gently peel away the softened leaves with a long fork.
- Drain the head of cabbage and peel the necessary amount of leaves when cool.
- Grab a large bowl and combine the cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, garlic powder, ground beef, salt, and pepper. Scoop about a 1/4 cup of this mixture into the center of each cabbage leaf and roll them up, making sure to tuck in the ends.
- Secure the rolls by using a toothpick or bakers/butchers twine.
Slow Cooker Method
- Place rolls in the slow cooker, add sauce and cook for 8-9 hours at 350 degrees F.
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees F.
- Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish, add sauce and cook for an hour. Cast iron dishes are always great, too.