Microwave Bread and Butter Pickles
- 1 large cucumber slice in spears
- 1 red onion sliced thin
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl combine all ingredients but cucumber and onion. Mix until sugar dissolves. You may have to warm in microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Add sliced cucumbers and onions.
- Microwave for about 3 mins, and stir.
- Microwave for another 3.33 mins.
- The cucumbers should be tender and onions translucent.
- Let cool, then transfer to containers with lids.
- Chill in the refrigerator until serving.
These do not taste good until they have cooled. So, don't be disappointed if you sneak a taste and they don't taste very good at first.